Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Ahhhh, December!

December, when the wind whips the snow into drifts. The cold air nudges us indoors around fireplace and hearth, to cuddle with loved ones and drink hot cocoa. It is the season of giving, the images of Santa and Jesus and Valentines all throb with love.

Today, however, there's not an inkling of all of the above. It's in the high 50's and super nice outside. This is dangerous for me, for I need bone chilling cold that makes my very breath brittle, makes my nose bleed from frostbite. I need to hole up indoors and grade papers. Days like this are just too tempting. Every time one pops up, I think it may be the last for a long run, so I skip out and enjoy it. This is Kansas, after all.

How could I sit idle inside while the sun is so welcoming, the temperature so inviting...and the work so daunting indoors!

I will escape today, knowing I will only have to redouble my efforts the remaining 12 days to grades due. That's okay, so long as I can make the most of this moment, this weather, this day!

No comments: