Thursday, December 24, 2009

Avatar, some more

Again, Avatar has recycled themes and a very transparent green agenda, and for all that I say, who cares! It's a marathon of eye candy, employing computer animation in over 70% of the film better than I have seen it used ever before. The landscape and wildlife of Pandora are imaginative and colorful and (other than the dinosaurs) very otherworldly.


I've yet to watch a "making of" video or to read any behind the scenes pieces on the film. I can tell it uses the same animation technologies of Polar Express, etc to capture realistic facial expressions and body movement. This was most obvious with Sigourney Weaver's avatar (but then, that figures, for she was the only seasoned actress in the film, and obviously her acting even came through the CGI well).

The picture following is just an impression of the landscape...


What most wowed me was the world of Pandora, particularly the plant life (as mentioned, most of the animals looked like crude dinosaur knock-offs to me). The way the world changed at night to a blacklight ultraviolet show was as amazing to me as it was to the human character first experiencing it in his avatar. It is so very beautiful! I cannot wait to go see it on a bigger screen in brighter projection (we saw it locally on the cheap last weekend). My desktop image these days is of the floating mountains of Pandora (impossible, of course, but cool). I have a crush on Neytiri (behind the scenes and the avatar, actress Zoe Saldana).








No comments: