Friday, December 04, 2009

Hats off to Hans Zimmer


I'm listening to the soundtracks of Batman and Pirates of the Caribbean as I'm grading. These are by Hans Zimmer. His style is bombastic, over the top, dramatic. Some find his soundtracks tiresome, too much the same. I find them striking. If I need some gusto for grading (or anything else) I just fire up the Zim-master. I've listened to these two so much I have them memorized, so I don't even need my iPod to go tripping.


I'm hoping to get some green for my iTunes account, so I can buy up more instrumental music like this. Meanwhile, I've also discovered a new Internet radio station, The Big Score, at GotRadio (hardly new, but new to me) that plays movie music, largely instrumental, 24/7. The problem with Internet radio compared to iTunes--bandwith. When everyone's here on a weekday, my connection gets dicey and I'm better off going offline.


I've mentioned it many times before, but I really like going completely offline, into my own playlist in my head. I think everyone should have one, whether it's full of rap lyrics, hymns, showtunes or country-western (or all of the above).

No comments: