Monday, March 21, 2011

Bombing

While I was ramping up for spring break and missing St. Pats parties, while I was troubled over the hardships of the Japanese and worried about the economy, something entirely new happened in the blink of an eye.

We declared a no-fly zone, chased by air strikes of Libyan 'strongholds.'

How is it that the UN arrives at such decisions, that the US is so heavily involved, and then it all happens in a heart beat? I need to pay much more attention to the news. I had heard that aircraft carriers were deployed a week or so ago, and that seemed puzzling then, but I shrugged it off. I'd heard people say that we seemed more responsive to Libya than we ever did to other parts of Africa where casualties were over a million! I'd come to understand that national sentiment regarding Libyan leadership was as unstable as their leaders....

...but another 'war front' just astounds me!

I am too uninformed to offer much more than my astonishment, but I am willing to go on record that I'm very, very troubled by it. I don't know that it was the right thing to jump ahead like this in Libya. I'm unsure of too much right now, and I imagine too many others range from unsure to "welp, the UN decided it, so it must be good." I would wager far too many of us are either ignorant or in denial.

Such people are an easy mark.

No comments: