Saturday, March 26, 2011

Keeping up with the Joneses

I'm reviewing my blog here and realizing something--I'm not keeping up with my students! I've only written about 18 entries since the start of the term, while I'm demanding 3 weekly from students (about 27 to date). Fortunately, they aren't reading this journal/blog anyway, so they'll never know/care.

Keeping up with the Joneses is a problem. Comparing with others is always a problem. I suppose it can be argued that it can be healthy, motivational. On the other hand, it can be damning. One might see that someone has a shiny new house and Lexus, for example, and feel stepped on for they only have a hovel and fleet of broken-down vehicles.

The urge to keep up causes us to be rabid consumers of everything, rampant omnivores. I am guilty of this, even though I am very aware of it. Such insatiable need to feed creates in us this discontent, usually at first with our earning potential, but eventually general discontent with everything.

I have to fight to keep this in check. I'm losing the fight. My buddy is building a new house. Another one has a sweet home in a small berg nearby. Another is remodeling a groovy ranch-style home I am coveting for its efficient floor plan. Someone just tore down a cool farmhouse and homestead (see other entry) that I would have loved to have as my own...

...then again, I have a house with some history. (Part of it was built in the very early 1900's.)
It's on 11 acres, which gives us the luxury of campfires, cookouts, raging crazy parties on the property...we have the ability to raise a garden of any size we want. We can have livestock, burn trash, etc. We can learn of the prairie on the east side and develop the cropland on the west side. We virtually live on a park, a prairie reserve!

And it gives me space (without zoning laws and restrictions) to build composting areas, a hen house...even a pirate ship playground!

We also have the luxury and blessing of a multi-generational blended household, giving my kids an intimacy with their relatives that I never knew.

I need to remember such things. When the front door jams or the other door leaks rain and ants, when the vehicle breaks down (again and again), when an investment in triple A is a necessity just for the towing package, when we cannot pay all the bills for our craptaular house and fleet of beaters...I need to remember we have it good.

And I need to quit thinking of it as a competition.
That's just stinkin' thinkin' after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
This was very insightful! I often feel the same strain on my own life, and I also have to fight to keep it in check. Those things will never bring us happiness anymore than a simple and inexpensive lifestyle will. I used to follow your blog all the time, but stopped for a year or so. I just rediscovered it and I'm very intrigued! I will be in touch with you guys as I will be making a trip to Kansas to see my pops this summer. I hope all is going well with you guys. Send my love to the rest of the family.
-Spencer Bradford