Tuesday, January 31, 2012

1/31/12

And so it ends, the first month of this new year. I usually save my lamenting for the end of semesters or the end of years, but nuts--I am going to miss this January. Maybe having a monthly reflection is not such a bad idea, if I can keep it out of the mire of regret.

This January was the warmest I can recall (but then again, I do not know where I parked my truck). It's been a month of resettling into my office (my now glammed-out office, complete with paint and pictures and--well, you get the idea). It's a new term with new faces and that's always refreshing and motivating. We're just now starting to dig in for the long haul (already at the 3rd week mark). I've ALMOST kept my poem-a-day pledge, falling short only here in the last few days as I've battled this virus. I've recorded stories told to my kids faithfully. I've harnessed my wrath, my anxiety, my enthusiasm....

....but then, I've not been the ideal dad (not a reasonable goal, I know). I've not been exercising, even though I continue to pay for it and continue to envy my friends' reports on Facebook of 80 lbs lost here/there. I've not read much of a stimulating nature (outside of some great poems). I've not done anything special for myself or my wife.

So there's room to grow, I suppose. Nothing substantial to bemoan or regret--yet.

Farewell, January. I leave you without too many resolutions broken.

No comments: