Friday, January 13, 2012

Annual reaming

As per the circadian rhythms of the digital realm, my PC died last week, as often happens to me at these most critical times. I have not gotten any smarter. I have not backed up content well. I did not even take a screen cap of all the program files I'd found and downloaded. *sigh*

Fortunately this is not my home PC, so there are genius-level tech support people here who restored the files I'd created (thousands).

Regardless, I feel nauseous every time this happens to me. I resolve to put more in the cloud, to back up content faithfully, etc. This time, I've already outsmarted all download and save functions to toss it all to the cloud and/or to an external hard drive. All my bookmarks are in the cloud via several tools (diigo, delicious, google bookmarks, evernote, etc.).

I'm sure glad nothing like this happens to me, personally. Imagine if your memory were wiped. This did happen to a friend of mine who suffered a brain aneurysm. She did not even remember how to eat, how to tie her shoes, etc.

At least my PC can still tie its shoes.

1 comment:

Gaia Gardener: said...

The older I get, the more I become aware of how lucky I am simply to be alive, reasonably healthy, and reasonably functional. Things can (and do) change in the blink of an eye.

Glad it was your work computer, not your home computer!