Monday, January 16, 2012

George Washington

I just finished reading my first serious biography in some too many years. I feel like a complete ninny when it comes to history. Why? Because when I was in high school and college, I did not take such subjects seriously. (This is funny b/c my son, only 9, knows more about history than I ever did!)

George Washington was not only a great president, he also had the fate of the republic in his hands. He was repeatedly extended the offer of King, but he was absolutely against it, even if it might have made for smoother sailing in the short run, it would have undermined all he and those fighting the revolution had worked for. (I don't think I could turn down a throne, personally.)

I also learned much of how Hamilton, Arnold, Jefferson and others worked together (and sometimes at odds).

I was such an idiot, I guess I thought it was all said-and-done with 1776 and the Declaration of Independence. I now know it was prolonged, and I'm going to learn much more on my new history quest!

No comments: