Monday, October 06, 2008

An ignorant voice on the Bail Out

See the title? I admit I know virtually nothing about this. Established? Good.

I do know that when politicians and the media begin shifting semantics and spinning euphemisms that it is time to be wary. What began as a bailout has become a rescue plan. By the time it is signed, sealed and delivered, it will likely be further blurred to "The Financial Support" law or something equally non-descript.

I do know that when farmers were going through bankruptcy there was no bail out from the feds. Any good farmer would have rejected it anyway, on principle, but too many of us had already sold out our principles to the FHA to stay in business. Remember farmers, those folk who feed you? Not some sneely, squirmy, white collar criminals shuffling paper all day.

I know that, under whatever pretense, once the government "owns" most business, industry, enterprise, etc...that we're in deep dip. All we need now is some charismatic hero to raise the homeland to new heights. Then all the predictions of my professor regarding fascism shall come to pass in my lifetime, as he would daily rant to us over 20 years ago.

I know that I am not yet at the point of self-sufficiency, self-reliance and self-defense that I need to be. I may have seeds, arms, skills, etc...but dependants in my household are also drug dependent. We have no stockpile of fuel (well, wood I guess).

Which, while I'm ranting, gets me to dependency in general. I have shaken the chains of tobacco and television. I gave up culinary delights and would just-as-soon eat cornbread every day for the rest of my life. (mmmmmm....cornbread!) I have escaped a prescription mood enhancing drug (...the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention looked at 2.4 billion drugs prescribed in visits to doctors and hospitals in 2005. Of those, 118 million were for antidepressants.) I guess I'm ready as I'll ever be for financial ruination. Bring down the grid. Let weeds grow in the cracks of our highways. Let freedom ring...oh, but...what about my Internet. I can't live without that!

Stop the press and let me vote. I'll not be without my Internet!

This, I think, models what we need to do for all of voting age. Drill down. (Not like JMc and Palin, per se.) Drill down to what matters to people, whether it's the daily fix of Dr. Phil or the constant contact of a cell phone. Whether it's (gov't supported) Meals on Wheels or (gov't dependent) school sports. Wherever it hurts, we must touch with some catalytic vigor to drive all the sheep to the polls.

Even if they're ignorant, like me.

No comments: