Thursday, October 09, 2008

There be monsters...

I waffle on this, for to acknowledge anything beyond flesh and into the supernatural opens opportunity and responsibility to reckon with all things ethereal. While I have been at the deep end of the pool on this before, of late I've been treading water.

That said, I find the theory that kids see into this beyond to be a very engaging theory, one that I have had a good deal of exposure to and one that my kids evidence regularly (without being prompted, coached, educated, etc. in this).

My wife chronicles this often in her blog. One kid or another over the years has sighted, had conversations with, is afraid of...someone who is not tangibly present. I'm not writing of your typical "imaginary friend" here, but someone who can cause a boy to stop in his tracks and wet himself in fear. These are the invisible visitors that may make a five year old (or a toddler) weep, cling to a parent, etc.

Sure, they have been inclined to put blame on these "ghosts" for their own misbehavior at times, and (even though we do our best to regard their notices of visitors as just another conversation) they might have mentioned a hobgoblin for attention sometime or another. All three do have very vivid imaginations and all three do have (readily acknowledged) imaginary friends and episodes of monologues (and dialogues) which would lead any outside observer to question their their perceptions of reality if not their sanity.

But none of their imaginary friends, Nobody, Jeff, etc...even the one legged man with the hat--none of these regular "folk" cause the reactions that other, more sinister apparitions seem to.

Many argue that we limit our perceptions as we grow older. It is said that this is vital to our coping with all the sensory overload we increasingly-encounter. We also are very responsive to social conditioning that tells us what is real and true, what is accepted behavior (even observation). We are beaten over the head with, "That's just pretend" and "You're making that up," and other conditioning that (so they say) numbs us to potential supernatural perception.

I intend to make this an object of study beyond my own kids. I wonder if most young children have such sightings. I want to find out! Meanwhile, we continue to listen to our kids express themselves (with as little judgement, coercion, etc... as we can) to better understand what it is they may see that we cannot.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Yeah, it's happening with too great a frequency with Ed to really be an imaginary encounter. He is literally scared and won't be outside of my reach. When you know more, you should let me know, too!!!