Saturday, October 25, 2008

Music--so Interesting!

I thought I had a good grasp of music, that I knew what I liked, until I began twiddling around with online tools that give me free access like Seeqpod and now Pandora. I've used iTunes and LastFM and LimeWire for various purposes, and I have surfed my way into some very interesting music at such spots...but Pandora, part of the "Music Genome Project" is my favorite musical tool online. Through it, I have found bone-wracking interest in Ska, some Punk, and a broad variety of Electronica that I would never have paid for upfront w/o a listen.

Right now I'm listening to LostProphets and Reel Big Fish. Earlier, I was on my own channel for Irish instrumental music of Tempest and Runrig. First thing this morning, I started the day with some interesting "surf revival" music from my friends, "Man-or Astroman." and Hellecasters.

I've quadrupled my musical horizons, if one could measure such a thing, in just a few months. I've made some very unique playlists, and if only I had time, there's a great deal I'd like to do with some of the music I've discovered, from using it for podcast sound beds to making overlapping mixes and such...even to just do something artistic (shadowbox, sculpt in clay, weld) to some of this music would be very liberating and fun!

The radio is so boring by comparison.

No comments: