Thursday, October 02, 2008

Sensitivity Training

In its original context alone, this phrase "sensitivity training" is interesting. It is used to help people better relate/identify with people who are differently abled. In my former life as a volunteer coordinator, we would host sensitivity training events in which able-bodied students would don gear to simulate disabilities, everything from visual impairment to numbed limbs. It was a 'walk a mile in my shoes' object lesson, and it was potent. We also had a campaign in which we would get ahold of a dozen wheelchairs and spend the day trying to navigate town/campus from that vantage point--VERY eye-opening. We reflected not only on the challenges, but also on the way we were treated differently by others.

Sensitivity training could also be offered between spouses. Usually one thinks of the insensitive male, though my wife accuses me of crying at movies (a blasted lie, I say).

It's really kind of silly trying to amp up one's sensitivity. At the physical level, I've heard it can be done temporarily with various substances abused in entertaining fashions. I know, too, that when one gets a burn or chips a tooth, they become more sensitive at this physical level. I've even participated in some meditative exercises that brought sensation to my heightened attention.

HOWEVER, what I'm writing about is my personal need to be more sensitive to my own children. Last night proved this out fully. First, we live in the country and do not have anyone in a cul de sac or otherwise on our land/in our driveway unless they have reason to be there. Unsolicited, as we had a visitor last night, leads us to cracking open the armory, as we did last night. A loud vehicle pulled into our driveway (as too damn many do to turn around) and did NOT beat a hasty retreat. The headlights poured into our family room. People reacted differently. Roger (beagle) howled. Some of us joked around coarsely. One actually did secure arms. The surprising thing was the reaction of our 20 month old. He ran to his aunt and clutched her, his heart pounding. He would not be put down for a 1/2 hour. He then would stand at the window and look out with great anxiety for the longest time....and he can't even talk about it. Poor kid. He absorbed everyone else's varied angst and amplified it for himself. He is very empathetic.

Child number two will cry big crocodile tears and be wounded of spirit if you nag, poke fun, sometimes even mention or question him wetting his pants.

Child number one, last night, had his own thermonuclear meltdown. We watched "America's Got Talent" this season (sorry, I must confess this most embarrassing truth). He had a chosen favorite that made it to the final two...but when the "piano man" lost out to the opera singer--WOW! My son flopped out of his chair, rolled on the floor, cried until he could not breathe nor speak, got very worked up in bowels and generally contorted his whole person into a hateful, vengeful anger. I mean, c'mon son, it's only a game show. He would NOT be consoled. He would NOT listen to reason. He was mad.

It's very interesting (and often alarming) to see raw emotion, absorbed emotion, and other such things coming unvarnished from my kids. Such an interesting study. I do not mean to take their emotions lightly, and I do not intend to objectively study them like lab monkeys--I'm just saying, it's outright fascinating.

I'm glad, after these recent exposures (and in spite of what I said a few entries back) that adults harness back some of this emotive blast.

No comments: