Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Responsibility

The responsibility of 11 acres is heavy. The man who sold the property claimed he just "couldn't keep up with the place anymore." He was maybe in his early 60's. I'm in my late 40's, and whew--I understand where he's coming from!

On the other hand, I don't think I'll ever let it wear on me. I look at the responsibility of The Land as a true blessing, a gift. I do not know why it means so much to me, but it does.

Someone claimed I was breeding kids just so I'd have someone to take care of the place...the truth is, well, I just love having kids in my life. I am enlightened by them, amused by them, inspired by them--I could go on and on.

Of course, they are my greatest responsibility, and like The Land, they are a welcome one, a godsend!

Then there's my job, as recently referenced. I love my job. It's probably pretty petty in the big picture, compared to Rocket Science or something, but it gives me Juice...and I still get a charge out of helping people improve in their writing. Some folk just "do" their job. I think, during the school year anyway, I "am" my job.

This whole topic is just bizarre; not even ten years ago I was gunshy of any form of responsibility.

I don't know what accounts for the about-face, but I'm pleased w/myself!

No comments: