Sunday, June 07, 2009

What was that, again?

My memory fails me.
Oh, I can do well with song lyrics and jingles, with images and dreams, but when it comes to early memories, Elvis has left the building!

My high school classmates were writing about an 8th grade outing we took. They referred to me, to some embarrassing antics that I have no recollection of. It is as if someone else lived my childhood.

It is the same with many events of my life which I have repressed--done so very well that it's almost impossible (even with snapshots to prompt me) to recall some of the less-than-stellar moments of my life.

Even more sad, I have a hard time remembering lots of recent events in any detail.

I have never been a detail-oriented person; I seldom can tell you the cast, author, title, ball player, etc. (My brother, on the other hand, is Rainman!)

I try to write down special things to remember, and thankfully my wife is a shutterbug, so we get photographic documentation of lots of things in our lives...but having it recorded externally is not so great as a Memory.

I've even been to workshops, read books, listened to CD's and tapes on memory--but none of the techniques have really been sticking.

I worry sometimes that I'm defective.

At least I compensate by trying to be a pleasant person getting the most out of now.

Just don't ask me about it next week.

No comments: