Saturday, October 10, 2009

Bob the Builder



image source

Okay, my name's not Bob, but my son's super hero is surely Bob the Builder. I'm starting to feel more and more like ol' Bob myself. I've always had a penchant for fixing things, regardless of my skill level. When I was 7, I started making club houses on my daddy's farm, usually converting a long-forgotten and neglected room in an outbuilding. (I think my dad commissioned me for two reasons, now that I think about it: a)kept me out of his hair and b)he would get a terribly filthy room cleaned up for free!)


I built fence, corrals, sheds, engines, dog houses, bird houses, book shelves, desks, bunk beds--to say nothing of things I've fixed. This is not to say I'm very good at any of it, but hey, I try. I find it inspirational, like a good bargain.

Cue yesterday: I responded to a Craig's List offering of "building material left overs" and WOW did we score! We have (so far) scavenged a pickup load of lumber and finish trim, exterior doors, etc. There are still VERY LARGE windows and some great limestone I'm looking at there, too. Also, yesterday I secured permission for a big score of very sturdy pallets. (Frequent readers know what these are for--everything!) I have also found a pile of extremely thick and large utility poles, which I really want but cannot fathom how to lift/transport.

My son, the Bob the Builder fan, went along with his papa and I on this scavenging operation, and he was so very happy. He was amazed at all the great free stuff. He spent the entire time we were there asking me what this was, what that was, could we take x or y or z, loading scrap wood into the pickup. He got filthy and he got splinters, but he was so very happy. Who needs Disney world when you have some free building materials!?

And I have building projects afoot:
1) get basement impervious to snakes, mice, etc
2) build pirate ship playground
3) enclose carport project
4) build tractor/hay shelter
5) build a dojo

This last entry is one I've been eager to do for some time. I still think using free materials, recycled materials, and natural materials works best for both my aesthetic and budget. This dojo idea would seem to benefit from the spirit of such beliefs, too. Something about charity and recycling, from the frame to the finish work, really makes me think a structure will have a good spirit. Like the Habitat homes I used to work on.

So, I'd best put on my overalls, tool belt and hard hat. Can we fix it?
YES WE CAN.

No comments: