Monday, October 05, 2009

"So Much the Drama!"

...so said my sweetheart Kim Possible.

This weekend we took our children to a matinee musical put on by my college, a production of "Once Upon a Mattress." Two of my kids are spectators who can watch television or movies with utter attentiveness, so I knew they'd be into a play. The middle boy could care less for watching anything, but even he was into it at times. My 5 month old--well, she was a bit of a surprise. Usually she's fussy, but throughout that musical, she was happy and smiling and overall a bit smitten by the stage, I think.

Even with them wriggling and squirming and talking and wanting to go in/out...even with the embarrassment of them shouting out at inopportune times, etc...it was a magical moment. Only two of the four had seen a live production before, and even that was not the full blown theatre experience.

It was very good for them, and they are still talking about it. When we wandered the property yesterday, they were singing along and narrating their actions. Even when it seems they are not paying attention, believe me, they are! I could catch phrases and melodies from the performance, and even when it was just ad lib stuff, it was so very cool.

I hope to keep chugging down this course of exposing the kids to stuff that's good for them!

No comments: