Thursday, October 08, 2009

Garage Sales -- 2009 Season review

I have written about them before, so this entry is likely just a brag sheet. Just last weekend, we landed at a very, very good sale (even in the post-season!) that offered us a lot of kids clothes, novels, costumes, and a coffee table I have been looking for for years (but had to leave behind, for I've no room for it in our house right now. The sale was a 3 household sale, and it was the most organized sale we'd seen all summer, maybe in years. Merchandise was organized by department, there was a check out area, there was a "holding table" for those of us who were gathering up so very much stuff it was too much to carry around as we shopped. Best of all, it was 1/2 price day, yet they still had so very many, very good items!

The only sale that possibly beat that one was a pre-season sale in which I was lucky enough to buy something like 20 classic hardback books for fifty-cents each! They are awesome! They are part of a collection people bought up, likely in the '60's from the Heritage Club. I'd been picking up one or two of these at a time, over the years, but at that sale, I hit the motherload. I was even selective, leaving a dozen or more behind (now I regret that, just because I'd like the whole set).

I also haunt Craig's List and I missed a great collection of those "Lawyer books" that would fill a whole bookcase with 200 impressive looking leather-bound hardcover books--of course, I don't have room for them, and I don't need them, but it would have been nice decor for home or office. Oh well, I am confident they will come around again.

The season was a great one, and we only went out a few times (due to $, time, and our whole entourage). We bought a $120 kids picnic table for $8. We found a few treasures we'd been wanting. The kids bought way too many toys. Best of all, it was family time that was affordable and (strangely) profitable, too. Good times!

No comments: