Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Invention of Lying

I saw one trailer for this film and thought it was a clever concept. I did not give it much more thought, did not consider the natural extension of the premise to encompass dating, religion, advertising, banking and commerce...but the film delivered on all this and much more!

What I thought might simply be an entertaining comedy proved to be a very thought-provoking journey into Truth and consequences. Yes, it had a love story to engage more box office (and frankly, seeing Jennifer Garner in her role was refreshing and enjoyable, for certain). Yes, it had some goofy comedic bits around the bar that I did not need.

On the whole, however, this movie is going to be one I show classes for film analysis and group discussion. My go-to favorites like Stranger than Fiction and Being There have new company!

No comments: