Sunday, May 23, 2010

The best moments

I'd waited for three (3) months. I'd spent my savings. I'd cleared my calendar (well, that last one is less-than-relevant since it IS summer, after all).

Finally, it was here, Star Wars in Concert. This was especially great for us, as it was our first visit to the new Intrust Bank Arena in Wichita. What a nice, new facility! All around the upper deck/concourse, there were food vendors (irresistible) and in this case, the 501st Star Wars reenactment group (I'll find their real name later) that was posing with kids for pictures like these (to be posted). For my kids, standing shoulder to shoulder with "real" Star Wars characters was da bomb--likely more exciting for them than the entire show. Another special feature of the event was that an exhibit of props and costumes from the actual films was on display, and we were able to see an original Darth Vader costume, weapons, helmets, etc. Cool!

As advertised, the multi-million dollar show in the multi-million dollar arena did deliver! Everything from a jumbo screen with choreographed scenes from all six films to the celebrity of the day, Anthony Daniels, who played C-3PO to extravagant lighting and awesome laser light features.

It was all I hoped for and more. Sure, it was very commercial (T-shirts were $45 and up; even event programs were $30!). Yes, it was hammy and campy--hey, it's a musical performance based on a silly sci-fi franchise (that did not come first from a comic book). Still, it was a really good show!

I have all the John Williams tunes from all six films on my iPod. I give them a listen regularly, especially the big swelling fanfare numbers. It truly was all exquisitely coordinated, music and sound. At one moment, for instance, the Millennium Falcon was rushing from the back of the jumbotron quickly to the foreground, to eventually fly right into the camera and at that moment roared over the auditorium, and blinding swivel lights tracked the movement in perfect synchrony with the blast of the 86 piece live orchestra. Then all the lights and sound went dead. Bam!

HOWEVER, all that was not the best moment. It was a great investment, don't get me wrong, but the best of the best of the best (sir) was a little private moment that could have happened anywhere.

My boys had little glow sticks from home (we frugal dudes did not want to spend $20 for one at the show). The kid in front of us, prolly about 4, had tight-fisted parents who did not even buy refreshments (kudos to them). My 4 year old decided to give away his glow stick to the little boy who did not have one. It's that kind of innocence and generosity that gives me faith in kids as our future.

If only they will not be corrupted by the world as they mature.

No comments: