Monday, May 03, 2010

Make mine SciFi

Ever thought about how this genre, science fiction, is something of an oxymoron in itself--I mean, science is all factual and well...scientific, while fiction is lies, lies, lies.

This entry is to explain to some folks why I like science fiction.


First of all, I like gadgets. I subscribe to feeds on new gadgets. (even though I cannot afford them) I can't get enough of Rube Goldbergian, overly-complicated, old school gadgets. I think early inventors rock, and I have bookmarked several patent/invention sites I visit frequently. When I was a kid, I would get a buzz out of the Jetson's and all those gadgets in the opening credits that got George around for the day ahead.


Then, I like to make things. While I aspire to great gadgetry, I'm just as happy making a crude box from scraps with my kid and a pneumatic nail gun, like we did just yesterday. I like to concoct crazy fixes and employ things other folk might discard. I like to re-purpose things. I especially enjoy solving problems with technology.


I am a man of conundrums. Puzzling principles and complicated circumstances draw my attention. This might be a convoluted plot in some work of fiction, or it might be some issue of life/society that is unresolved or annoying me. For example, I find the time it takes to get somewhere to be very, very bothersome. (I know, you're supposed to enjoy the journey, but....). I think I like science fiction because it can step up and offer solutions for commutes that get in the way (teleportation) or language barriers that lead to battles (universal translators).

I am an optimist, and much of science fiction (the Roddenberry strain, and soft sci-fi) addresses worlds and cultures that have overcome all the -isms and moved on. Many SF environments are free of pollution, no longer burdened with consumption, want, lust... When I am seeking a better world, I can usually find it in the pages of a SF novel or film.



Admittedly, when it comes to art--film, in particular--I am all about the eye candy. The fanciful worlds of space and science that could be...breathtaking! Fusing fantasy (the entire gamut of what-if) and scientific gadgetry on screen is awesome.

2 comments:

Lora said...

I think you forgot to mention that you also like to lie, lie, lie! :)

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, you will pass the enthusiasm of your puzzle-solving, gadget-tinkering, inquisitive creativity onto your students. "Facts" are everywhere these days; creativity is waning.