Saturday, May 22, 2010

Construct a Chicken Moat for Effective Garden Pest Control

Construct a Chicken Moat for Effective Garden Pest Control

This has been on my mind and "radar" since the article first came out (really!) and now, this summer of 2010, just 22 years later, I am going to do it!

I think, after looking the article over again, that I've been thinking too small, that we need to build this garden BIG. I thought our garden of 30 x 48 was getting big enough, but the one in the article is more like 50x75.

I also do not know for sure about the fencing material. The article suggests 6' high fence, and to use a better, stronger material than typical poultry fencing. I am unsure what to use, but it will be a big expense.

I've been thinking through a hen house concept that uses old pickup toppers on top. I'm thinking the topper would provide adjustable skylights and access to the hen house. I'd want 2 toppers on top, and they'd have to match...and they'd have to be adequate scale. If I know all that upfront, I can design the walls to fit.

No comments: