Sunday, May 16, 2010

Roughing It

I've never been for a ride in a Model-T Ford, but I have been in cab-less vehicles that had firm shocks, leaf springs front and rear...an old Willys Jeep (precursor of the AMC Jeeps we all know and love). I've been studying old cars for most of my life and know there are modern conveniences we take for granted:
  1. comfortable, adjustable seats
  2. automatic transmission
  3. windows
  4. music
  5. gauges
  6. power steering
  7. power brakes
  8. power windows
  9. good exhaust
  10. air conditioning
  11. safety features
  12. (nearly) rattle-free interiors
  13. quiet rides
  14. GPS systems
...and I could go on.

We marvel that people could drive such harsh vehicles, so brutal and inconsiderate. We also marvel that people used to leave food products out of the fridge between meals, that they used root cellars to preserve food, that they had the windows open and open fire places!

Once upon a time, you had to open doors all by yourself at grocery stores.

Used to be, you had to talk to a teller to get some cash.

We were able to write on little slips of paper to conduct business rather than use credit/debit cards...and we carried cash (real green stuff).

...and I could, again, go on.

The point of this entry (and I'm just warming up to it) is that we have so many modern conveniences and luxuries which we never reckon with [clean, running water--indoor plumbing!]. The one I am thinking of most right now is the humble computer.

Yes, I grew up on a typewriter. I was using the Internet when it was just a blue screen and white text (and we thought that was da'bomb).

I am sharing this because I realize frequently how very, very dependent I am on technology and how much of a wuss I am due to creature comforts. When visiting Mexico, I had a few reality checks, and when I revisit my homeland and farmstead, I again am reminded of my childhood and "roughing it" back then with black and white TV coming in via aerial.

I guess there's no turning back, but frankly, I'd like to. I'd go all the way back to the buckboard and kerosene light. My only issue would be medical care, but I guess we're likely to be reverting to that 19th century medical practice anyway, thanks to what's afoot.

I could go a week without a shower, use an outhouse, take cold showers (uhgh, starting to get into my sacred comfort zone now). I could stand only traveling 40 miles a day on horseback. I could sleep on the ground. About all I could not handle--dental care!!!!

No comments: