Friday, March 26, 2010

(Automotive) Honesty


Recently I sold a car on Craig's List. It was a good ol' car, and I miss it. In this photo, I'm waving goodbye to her...

Anyway, I advertised it in its true condition: 1996 Dodge Avenger SE You'll love this car! Clean title, strong engine. Only 186,000 miles. Sunroof, bucket seats, 10 disc CD changer in roomy trunk. Interior in good condition. Exterior has only minor damage. (Email or come by to see .) Gas mileage in the high 20's. 6cyl, 24 val. DOHC. Speedy! Sporty! Great school car. So why so cheap? heater core and water pump both need replaced. I don't have time/resources, and mechanic wanted more than I could pony up. Someone handy or wanting a hobby car could get her on the road w/ease. I'd get it fixed myself, but I need 2 bench seats for a growing family.


A fellow, Joe, followed through, worked me down to a humiliating price, and drove away happy with it. I certainly did not lose anything, for I drove it for 3 full years for only $600 bucks. (I should always be so lucky with cars!)


THEN, more recently, I received a call from a disgruntled person who had purchased the car from that guy, Joe. This caller was less-than-pleased, for Joe had not told him anything was wrong with the car, and the deal was closed between them for nearly 3 times the price Joe and I had settled upon. I apologized to the caller, telling him I only wished I had that phone number to Joe still, then rang off. I spent the rest of the evening in ire.


It is such bad form to sell a car like Joe did. So very dishonest. So evil. Sure, some might argue that Joe was simply resourceful, enterprising, but I would argue that someday, some how, it will all come back to bite him.


Karma.


I think there is a very special circle of hell for deceitful car dealers and attorneys.

No comments: