Friday, March 12, 2010

Gonna Garden

Tomorrow, rain or shine. I'm going to build raised beds. I'm going to order some soil. I'm going to reserve my tiller. Maybe I'll even service my lawn tractor, for sometime soon (VERY SOON) I'm going to have to begin mowing. New to my blog and life? Mowing takes me 4 hrs a week in prime season, but it's worth it. Maybe we'll get enough goats going this year, maybe get the pasture leased out, and thereby reduce my mowing some.

I still have few plans in place for what we're to grow, how we're to preserve it, etc. With the cost of food so low, it's still hardly a profitable venture...but maybe I'll find a way. We eat a lot of potatoes, so I am eager to grow them as a staple. I'd like to see us eat a great deal more beans, and maybe we can raise them in bulk this year (?)

Chickens seem to offer the greatest savings to us, for we go through dozens of eggs weekly. I think if I were to really live by my values, I'd eat eggs over red meat (maybe even eat chicken, etc and still lay off the red meat). I can raise egg-laying chickens for next to nothing--for...chicken feed!

No comments: