Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stuff I Think I Need

...but really just want.

Back in the day, my list of wants was related to car parts and girlfriends. I went through a gadget phase. I went through an HGTV home improvement phase. Now, you be the judge:

  1. plow
  2. disc
  3. pto driven tiller
  4. scoop tractor
  5. stock tank
  6. budget for trees
  7. new hydrants (installed, of course)
  8. big outbuilding
  9. reliable transportation for six
  10. economical trans for one (motorcycle?)
  11. wi-fi at home
  12. more home (2000 sq ft more)
  13. a big, tree-covered berm to block road noise
  14. college funds
  15. retirement funds
  16. retirement :)

Used to be, if my "needs" would suddenly have been fulfilled, I would have felt less-than-satisfied, for they were the goals w/n themselves. Now, this list largely would still just give me the ability to fulfill goals. Interesting evolution of desires.

Of course, of all my needs, I think I need more time. When ever the time changes, like it did last night, I marvel at how we play with an idle hour as if it were nothing but digits on a clock. There are days I'd give my paycheck for just one more hour. The one "need" I have can't be given or taken, only spent. I hope to spend what time I have left in my budget wisely and well.

No comments: