Friday, December 07, 2007

Oceanfront property in Arizona...

I am seeking ways to capitalize on my property--that's right, I'm ready to whore out 11 acres to the most lucrative offer. This is, if you know me, contrary to my nature. I was always one to think that our most treasured possessions do not have a price. I valued my privacy, my space, my "land."



Well, I am ready to sunset such thoughts in favor of more profitable performance metrics. In other words, I've recently joined the fiscally challenged and now know I must survive.



I am eager to find any and every way to make a buck from some ground. I have 4 acres of untouched pasture, and I have another 4 acres of what seems to be ready-for-crop (like hay). I am mostly considering something like an orchard, but I know that takes eons for a return on investment.



If you are considering making a suggestion, realize that I do live in central Kansas, where the weather is unpredictable, the seasons moderate, and the soil is about average.



I told the wife it would be most profitable to raise some herb, or poppies maybe, but she just gave me that look.



I don't want to completely sell out, turning my acres into a trailer park or a puppy mill. I wish I could find some environmentally friendly and responsible ways to turn a buck. There's got to be some website with "ideas for your acres" but I've yet to find it.



Again, in the words of Stanley Johnson, "Somebody help me."

5 comments:

John B. said...

I'd recommend leasing it out for grazing and/or haying.

Gaia Gardener: said...

I don't know what the economic return would be, but native prairie grass seed sells for a reasonably high price.

According to a little book I purchased at Dyck Arboretum (A Practical Guide to Prairie Reconstruction by Carl Kurtz), you may be able to start harvesting seed by the 4th year after planting. That would be a faster return than an orchard.

dejavaboom said...

These are great ideas consistent with my lifestyle aspirations. I still have yet to find the 'group' or 'webring' or whatever on sustainable agriculture and such...but I will.

My eldest had a great idea, out of the blue. He said in the van the other day, "You know what? We should have funerals at our farm for animals. People could come there to give flowers to their cats and dogs every year." This was, of course, a pet cemetery. Quiet neighbors, meaningful use of property, and yet more evidence I have such a sensitive, supportive son.

Thanks for the ideas. keep 'em coming!

Gaia Gardener: said...

Oh, I really like the idea of a pet cemetery! What a great idea! Congratulations to your son!

I wonder what kind of county health regulations you'd have to meet.... I'm sure there'd be something, but hopefully nothing too onerous.

The best part of this idea, though, is that you could have a pet cemetery on an acre or less, and still have the rest of your land to use and enjoy in other ways.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I feel about being "the wife," but I do not even remember said conversation...herbs???? Anyway, I, too, like Jaxson's idea of a pet cemetary, but don't know the legal ramifications of such. Grazing wouldn't be bad if somebody else had to take care of the livestock...