Wednesday, December 05, 2007

What's the Greatest Invention of all-time?

I know this has been done before, that the question is likely old as the Internet, but I'm seeking nominations/explanations for what might be considered the greatest invention of all-time.

Play by the rules. A good working definition of "invention" from American Heritage dictionary, for starters: Invention: 1. The act or process of inventing: used a technique of her own invention. 2. A new device, method, or process developed from study and experimentation: the phonograph, an invention attributed to Thomas Edison. 3. A mental fabrication, especially a falsehood.

Note also that the timeframe is "all-time." The "greatest" is completely up for grabs; does this mean the greatest for mankind (like the beer launching refrigerator) or for the planet, or should one employ a more esoteric "greatest"? That, my friends, is up to you.

Whet your whistle with what some seventh graders thought...ideas range from spear tips to 'marrying a princess.' (A spirited discussion follows in the comments, there, too.) Need more inspiration? Check out this site, Patent Silly, which keeps an on-going record of patents that make you go, "huh?"

I will reply to this post, myself, since I don't know the "below the fold" fancy way to manage my postings yet--with the intention of not jading your response, I may even wait a few days.

1 comment:

John B. said...

I (still) regard movable type (of the Gutenberg variety) as the greatest invention.

Writing would be up there as well, come to think of it.