Sunday, December 09, 2007

What is it with KINGS?

What could be more unsettling than being awakened (or rolling over to face) the Burger King? I find this whole presence disturbing. I know he's a pop icon, a marketing sensation, an unforgettable image...in fact, I have a bobble head of him at my desk, right now.

Nonetheless, I find him to be creepy. I found a mask of the King at Walgreens this fall, and I almost purchased it. What would I have done with it, you may ask? I don't really know...mount it on the wall? Wear it in bed to freak out my wife? Commit crimes in it to defame the character of the King? Parade around all day expecting to be worshipped? (Er...scratch that....that's every day.)

I missed my chance to blog on this around Halloween, when all-things-creepy are in vogue. I suppose it came back to mind since I am in grading mode, for this is a peculiar time of year when everything creepy seems to haunt me. I get a bit edgy, giddy, and some say grumpy about this time of the academic year.
Think of the other Kings we've been exposed to in marketing... wasn't there some cereal king? I remember King Vitamin, but was that a cereal or something else?
We shall close our day feeling royal.

1 comment:

John B. said...

That Burger King ad back when it was helping promote Revenge of the Sith, where Darth Vader answers his door and the King is standing there is/was singularly creepy.

King Vitamin is/was a breakfast cereal.

Happy grading, sir.