Monday, February 08, 2010

Another Snow Day

Not to complain, but why couldn't it have been on a day I actually have a class? Why couldn't they have called before I had already driven 20 of the 22 miles to work? Oh well. In truth, it's worked out great, for I am THE ONLY one in this building, and so it's a nice, quiet work environment. I'm catching up on grading (only 4o some-odd pieces remain) and I'm going to get some prep work done for the week (namely my podcast, lecture notes, etc).

Originally, I was intending to come home at noon and enjoy the snow, but I heard something about 15mph winds. That's not sounding pleasant. I'll likely hold out for play tomorrow.

Which brings me to the point--tomorrow should be the snow day, for it's to freeze hard and ice over and generally be terribly treacherous tomorrow. This brings up the whole idea of being pre-emptive. Reactionary.

I once had to make a weather-related decision that was very tough: cancelling a major event we hosted annually for 8 or 9 years. It was a senior-senior prom, a dance for elderly folk. We had 600-1000 guest annually for this little shin-dig, and the forecast was awful. It was knee deep snow during the week, but--welcome to Kansas--the night of the dance it would have been fine! That was one of those moments I kicked myself and every weatherman I could think of (metaphorically, of course).

Another was when I decided to go see a girlfriend in Denver during a blizzard; ended up snowed in with two lawmen and a convict in a little motel room in the middle of nowhere...but that's another snow story.

No comments: