Friday, February 19, 2010

Topical

My students are proposing research project essay topics, many of which are a bit predictable if not dog-eared. I encouraged them to surf the Internet, to watch some vlogs. I gave them an abundance of issue-hosting sites like this one. I shared a "don't go there" list, too, forewarning them away from some topics I've yet to read a good paper over....here's a listing of what I'm getting:
  • death penalty
  • abortion
  • gun control
  • welfare reform
  • drinking age
  • alternative energy
  • immunizations
  • texting
  • social networking
  • sexual identity
...I wish I could say these were going to knock me out with stunning research findings and mind-blowing arguments/insights. I wish they took ownership of their issues and really wrestled with controversies they are unsure of, initially. Do understand, some students are actually slugging through issues, like the last one, questioning the uncertain sex of athletes like happened last summer (I think it was)...or like the guy (himself a music major) who's exploring the claim that music education could be a reasonable chopping block item in a tight school budget. Some students are fired up about advertising and body image, in part from our exposure in the current readings/assignment. A couple are still angling around, seeking that something they might care about enough to commit to 2000 words.

I feel for them. I try to help them. My thinking is, helping them helps me, for I'll have less mediocre papers to grade later. Selfish, I know.

No comments: