Thursday, February 25, 2010

Follow me, I'm your Daddy.


We have so much influence on those around us, particularly the younger set.

I don't think I've been a good role model to anyone, most particularly my own offspring. Living up to my own standards is next-to-impossible, though, so it's no wonder I feel as I do.

I wish a camera crew was following and filming me every step of the way, every hour of the day. Maybe there could be a highlight reel of things I do well. I know there would be plenty to compile for a blooper reel...or worse, deleted scenes. Wouldn't it be awful to have scenes from life just deleted? Even the negative moments are valuable. Even those flashes of wrath, poor stewardship, bad grammar, or picking my nose have a Reason to Be.






I really like the photo in this blog. I will look back at it frequently, for it really helps me put my behavior into perspective. Knowing as I do that little ones learn so very much by example, by watching (even before they can speak or completely process thoughts), and by mimicking us--it's all so potent. It's all such a responsibility!

I feel blessed and lucky to be a daddy. I will strive to continuously improve in my performance as dad. I figure I may have something like 40 years left to do my ever-increasing best. So long as I keep things in perspective, keep looking at pics like this one, maybe I can eventually feel like my life deserve to be immortalized in film (or at least fond memories) instead of on the cutting room floor.

No comments: