Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Carnism

I listened to a professor on NPR as she shared the thesis of her book Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows. In it, Melanie Joy explores the invisible system that shapes our perception of the meat we eat, so that we love some animals and eat others without knowing why. She calls this system carnism.

Carnism is the belief system, or ideology, that allows us to selectively choose which animals become our meat, and it is sustained by complex psychological and social mechanisms. Essentially, she discusses this disconnect that we are all willing to participate in to allow us to eat meat.

I think this is interesting. Maybe it's related to my theory that people should be conscientious and thoughtful of what we eat. I agree with Dr. Joy that carnism may lead us to turn a blind eye to what our 'meat' is made of. I do not know that I would eat meat if I had raised it. I know that is squeamish of me, making me inconsistent (at the best) and certainly uncomfortable.

Follow this link to attend Dr. Joy's lecture at YouTube. See what you think.

I grew up on a farm. I live on a farm. I am surrounded by ranchers. I eat meat (love steak, pork roast, etc...). All that said, I am a thinking omnivore, and sometimes I review my diet and choices, even if I have yet to change.

No comments: