Friday, February 12, 2010

Why do I read others' blogs/journals?


This is a good question: why read other peoples' blogs, journals, facebook pages? Is there some strange voyeuristic principle at work? Is there some loneliness that is sated by the practice? Am I simply nosy?

Why not. Maybe, no, no.

In class I admit to assigning and reading journal entries so I can learn about them, their demographic, and maybe better reach them as the audience of the course. I also offer it as an outlet to vent, be expressive, etc. in ways the other course assignments might not allow. All that is true.

But, offering credit to become "friends" in Facebook? That seems a little bit out there, no? I would say, again, there's an academic angle. The demographic research is there, sure, but so is the more instant access between myself and the student. They are in the medium of Facebook, not my college's email platform or learning management system. They are attuned to engaging in Facebook, checking it several times a day, even during class, even at peril of being called down for such things by some teachers.

Still, can I admit to a little bit of vicarious living through them? even a spark of titillation from reading their extra curricular lives? Steadfastly I say, "No." Professionally, I say, "No."

...but for anyone reading my blog (hmmm....why are you here?) I would argue that there's likely something endearing about reading of their life/times firsthand. Yes, I hope it makes me a better teacher, but I also hope it makes me a better person to have these digital, once-removed interactions.

In the same way, I feel I benefit from reading the scads of non-student blogs I frequent...and from the Facebook friends I have who are as distant as 30+ years ago, when we were classmates. I benefit from reading what people have to say about themselves, their life/times, culture, etc. Likewise I benefit from reading more public accounts of their lives and worlds-- Whether it's a work of non-fiction or journalism. Also, I find benefit in reading the make believe, fictional accounts of people interacting, even in fantasy realms.

Bottom line, for me: I grow from engaging with others, real and imagined, public and private. I have to raise an eyebrow at anyone who would argue otherwise.

No comments: