Sunday, April 25, 2010

High tech AND high touch


Courtesy of graphic artist Franz Stainer and his Personal Robot series http://www.blutsbrueder-design.com/

Yes, now this is how I perceive my job. (I'm the one on the right, the knight in shining armor.) Ideally, it would seem as if I were there, your writing coach, just over your shoulder. Unfortunately, the world of distance learning is still too distant. Though it's not as bad as "teaching through two cans tied to the ends of string" as a colleague once described it, there are times it is challenging.

I plan to make my new-improved online class content media rich and to use amusing and yet artful content like that above. I also plan to have more on-ground and online live time contact, more audio and video supplements, more links to supporting content...and the text we've moved to, the handbook, promises a strong online interface/presence...even an etext (finally).

No comments: