Monday, April 05, 2010

What ever did I do?

...before getting married? Then I married into a very family-oriented clan that meets monthly for birthdays and/or holidays. There are many in the family, and the family is growing. Our home is the hub of the family, for my in-laws (even sister in-law) live in the same house we do. I like this hub-business, for it is the opposite of what I grew up with, where hardly anyone from our family tree ever went out on a limb and visited my parents' farm. My current home is home to all manner of merriment, festivity, celebration.

As families grow, so has my own immediate, nuclear family. We have four kids, and that means 4 times the laundry, clutter, etc. It also means 4 times the joy, the learning potential, the chance to live through their innocent eyes for a moment. We could write books over their antics, their witticisms, their trials and tribulations. Having 4 kids means being extra attentive, super engaged, uber involved.

Then there's the acreage. I did not have 11 acres to maintain before. I did not have a garden, out buildings, equipment, etc. to concern myself with. Oh, and being a homeowner adds to the load, with pesky maintenance chores, additions to design and budget for, etc.

Making a list like this really makes me wonder, just what did I do before?

No comments: