Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Arrrrrhhhhh!

So, last fall I started building a playground for my kids. It's to be modeled after a pirate ship. I've been documenting progress on that project at another blog: http://www.pirateshipplayground.blogspot.com

I often sit at the window, wishing it were better weather. These days, I've been out in the elements every chance I can get. We've made tremendous progress lately. I can now begin to see my project coming into its own. I have a target date of Spring Break for the christening of the pirate ship.

It is not without concerns that I build this beastie. I know that every playground is dangerous. Every time my kids monkey around on one, I worry. It's another issue, however, when the very playground I build somehow leads to an injury. That's creeping me out. To compensate, I've been collecting wood chips (now about 10 truck loads) which I will layer at least a foot deep all around the ship to cushion the boys' landings. Even so, I've got to attend to ways they might hang themselves in the rigging, how they might catch their heads between the rail posts, how they might find some inventive way to jump ship at some height I would not like. Worry, worry, worry!

On the other hand, the ship gives me something constructive to do. I can exhaust my creative energies on that project for a good long while. I've yet to design the gunwales, the anchor, the bow, the rigging, etc. I've ideas of the ship's exterior, but I don't know if I can really make it look like I imagine it might. I've got to create a captain's quarters, a ship's wheel, and various other nautical marvels, too. The boys want me to start on sea creatures next, to surround or perhaps accost the ship. I'll make those of concrete, somehow, I suppose...or better yet, let them make something of their own imagination!

Good times!

No comments: