Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sometimes I wonder...

...what my students really think of class. Today, for example, we did traditional lecture, review, etc. and then I had them participate in "academic speed dating." This is not my original idea--it's something forwarded to me that I've had great success with (I think).

I have them sit in a long row, 1/2 on each side of the room-length table. I have them reach across to a partner and shake hands, exchange pleasantries, and then address a question I have for them on screen. After a few minutes, we reflect as a group, report back a few insights (and names) then rotate to new partners. It's a tool I use for review, obviously, but also to break the ice, so they can get to know at least 1/2 the class on just the second day of class.

...but it's weird. It's non-traditional. It's disruptive and messy. Do they really benefit? Does it actually help folks get familiar, or is it just busy hoop-jumping junk? I would like to think it's productive, that people have fun and learn a little something along the way, but it's hard to know...to REALLY know.

Thus, I am in a quandary. Do I keep experimenting and mixing it up, or do I throw back to staid, tried-and-true lecture? (Could I even do that?) I hope I find a good balance, that it's all in the best interest and best meeting the students' needs.

Sometimes I have doubts, that's all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe it works pretty good afer we were done i could name at least ten people in the class and tell you something about then

dejavaboom said...

Thanks for the feedback, Beau. The next class took the "dating" part of it too seriously, swapping digits!