Thursday, January 28, 2010

THIS brings it all together!

In this video, the Rev. Billy Talen preaches on localizing our lifestyles in his campaign for mayor of NYC. He is interviewed by "The Resident" aka Lori Harfenist. I've followed Rev. Billy's career for some time now, as I've also watched Harfenist's vlog off and on for years. This was the best six minutes I have spent today, absorbing the message the Rev. shares on anti-consumerism, on big-box monopolies and manipulations, and on the concept of retooling our economy. Hang Obama's 90 minute applause fest out to dry and invest your ears in this instead. His Church of Stop Shopping has some great songs/messages, and their website is great!

For my bandwith, one cannot go wrong listening to Harenfist (and she's easy on the eyes, too). I am going to recommend her to my classes, for she brings up some great controversies, and my students are to be entertaining controversial issues in Comp II.

For example, she has a segment on:

sin taxes, particularly one proposed on pop

climate change

calling this country "America"

Why people hate the USA (dated)

She's....stimulating, if nothing else. There are many commentators with more depth and content, but I think her vlog would be a good onramp for students to check out the behind-the-scenes medium of the Internet. (I'm collecting similar sites to share w/students, so fire some to me!)

No comments: