Monday, January 25, 2010

Fostering Creativity


I'll likely be teaching Creative Writing online for my college next year, for I've been given the green light to design the course for that environment. I used to teach said course for rival institutions both on ground and online. I like teaching the course for one main reason: it meant so much to me.


Why? I guess it was the course that endorsed my creativity more than any other, save actual art classes. I always enjoyed having that element of my person appreciated. You could tell me I was smart or analytical or witty--and it would not really matter...but if I were told I was creative, well then, that was the highest complement, the fuel that launched me down a dozen paths.


I am still creative in writing and in building things. Sometimes its the smallest thing around the house, like mounting jars creatively with my wife. Other times the creative outlet is a much larger scale like my pirate ship project or the haunted houses I used to design.


I find that fostering creativity in others is perhaps the very most rewarding aspect of my job. I mentioned previously that I like to boost student self-confidence and expression in their writing. Igniting creativity takes that to another level, in my opinion.


The most important contribution I might be able to make might be to foster creativity in my own children. In that one small way, I think I'm succeeding well as a father. My kids are very, very creative. I know, every parent thinks such things and brags accordingly, but trust me, my children are off the charts. Maybe in another entry I will elaborate on that!

No comments: