Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Knight's Tale

I've been thinking of what film to show my classes this term...one that is a personal favorite is A Knight's Tale. I know it's not high-brow educational viewing, but it has merits and offers a good deal to discuss. I think students could digest this film well-enough and come to see the value and presence of subtle elements (lighting, costuming) as well as the film's more obviously employed novelties like a rock music soundtrack in a medieval setting.

The movie is a great popcorn piece, if nothing else, entertaining from beginning to end. I like the starkly contrasted good/evil (even though it's a little too stark for many reviewers). I love the main characters, one and all, and the performances by Ledger and others really work for me.

My kids watch this movie regularly. Even my in-laws watched and appreciated it. I think it has some appeal for all ages and demographics. It's also not too vulgar for classroom viewing and offers a number of points of departure for class discussion.

It's on my short list for the movie review unit, for sure!

No comments: